Thursday, December 4, 2008

Living in a Depression and Living WITH depression





I'm a 20 year old college student trying to figure out what path to take in life. However it doesnt seem like any path will open up for me in this fucked up economic situation. How am I supposed to pick a career when left and right millions of people are losing their jobs. Everyday there is another story of major newspapers and media outlets cutting employees in order to survive. Even the all american auto makers are going into financial disrepair, and the government wont pump any money into one of the last american businesses. However, they are more than willing to give money to bankers who have already showed they are incredibly irresponsible and greedy.

My long time childhood friend Matt has always had work and in one instance even hooked me up with a great job. However after just graduating from vocational school in auto mechanics he finds himself unemployed. The time in his life when he needs a job more than ever and the economy is so bad that he can not get a start anywhere. Earlier this year I read the news stories of people losing their jobs but it didnt hit home until now. I actually know someone who is directly affected by this terrible turn of events in U.S. history.

I have no idea why im in college. Nothing excites me. I've tried all sorts of subjects and somehow I dont see any direction for my future. I mean if I have to work 40+ hours a week for the rest of my life like society says then I better as hell love what im doing. And I can tell you...there is nothing in this world I can see myself doing for 40+ hours a week. But, I have no choice I have to support myself and try and make some kind of difference somewhere. I am tired of the work status quo of this country. Its 2008, life shouldnt be so hard. after all isnt that why we have technology? so we can have robots do the hard work for us so that we can sit back and reap the profits and not to sound to self centered but wouldnt it be nice to focus on ourselves and not work so hard? After all we have cell phones and computers and machines to clean our dishes and clothes...why are americans working more hours than ever before?

Anyway, with the job market being almost non existent for college graduates and the fact that I dont find passion right now in anything that will provide an income, I have decided to drop out of school for awhile and travel. Travel doesnt have to cost a lot of money, which is good because I dont have much at all.

I cant think of anything better to do when my country is falling apart than to go on an adventure. So Im going to Amsterdam. I'm taking a backpack and my bicycle and I'm going to do whatever the fuck I want. I'm probably gonna couchsurf and tent my way around Europe, most likely visiting countries/cultures who are accepting of cyclist like France, Germany, and the Netherlands. Hopefully something sweet happens and I find something I love to do over there that will put a roof over my head and food in my belly. I've realized that I really dont need that much to live and be happy. I have so much shit in my tiny room right now and I dont NEED any of it. All I need is a backpack with a few articles of clothing and some ambition to stay alive while I explore this world.

I cant wait to start my travels. Hopefully at some point I find someone to travel with me. Because I bet things might get a bit lonely by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment